The club sandwich is a classic. It’s one of those comfort items on menus across the world that no matter where you are, it can make you feel at home. But this popular sandwich, like all food, can vary when it comes to price. Hotels.com® knows the cost of eating can have a big impact on your travel budget and where you decide to go. So using the club sandwich as a benchmark for food costs, the travel experts put together a list of sandwich prices in Canadians’ favourite travel destinations as revealed by the Hotel Price Index™ (HPI™).
The classic chicken, bacon, lettuce and mayo sandwich, a standard lunch available in hotels worldwide, was used as a universal measure of affordability in the Hotels.com Club Sandwich Index (CSI). The CSI average price has been calculated by taking the real prices paid by guests for a club sandwich in approximately 30 hotels in the capital city of each country measured. In total Hotels.com surveyed the club sandwich prices in more than 750 hotels in the five, four and three-star categories across 26 countries, with five Canadian cities measured.
“The CSI is a quirky way for travellers to estimate the cost of living in the cities they are visiting for their vacations,” said Taylor L. Cole, director public relations and social media, North America at Hotels.com. “Hotels.com customers already know how to snag great hotel deals. The CSI is a fun metric which provides an average cost travellers can use to estimate lunch budgets for daily expenses away from home.”
Top domestic destinations
- Toronto may be the number one domestic destination for Canadian travellers but it’s not the most expensive.
- Average club sandwich cost is $15.86CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $141.79CDN
- Montreal is the priciest of the top three destinations for Canadians when it comes to both accommodation and club sandwiches.
- Average club sandwich cost is $15.90CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $151.02CDN
- Vancouver is the middle man when it comes to hotel rates, but you’ll save on your sandwich.
- Average club sandwich cost is $15.71CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $144.10CDN
Interested in knowing how the other markets in Canada stacked up? Club sandwiches in the city of Calgary came in at a reasonable $13.29CDN, and the east coast city of Halifax offers great value at $12.53CDN.
Top international destinations
- New York City The Big Apple has bright lights and big buildings, so it’s no surprise to find big prices as well.
- Average club sandwich cost is $16.70CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $256.35CDN
- Las Vegas is already well-liked, but with both affordable accommodation and food, there is yet another reason to visit.
- Average club sandwich cost is $12.92 CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $106.79 CDN
- Chicago is a city that has seen a massive increase in popularity recently. The affordable dining options are even more reason to visit the Windy City.
- Average club sandwich cost is $11.92CDN
- • Average daily hotel rate is $165.88CDN
Top international destinations outside of North America
- London: Who isn’t charmed by this city across the pond? It’s no surprise that this English city is the most popular international destination outside of the U.S.
- Average club sandwich cost is $18.45CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $219.67CDN
- Paris is a place to indulge with decadent pastries and designer boutiques. But, in this city, ordering a club sandwich could also be considered indulging since the average price is upwards of $30 making it the most expensive city to indulge in a club sandwich globally.
- Average club sandwich cost is $32.64CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $204.87CDN
- Rome has a rich history, but thankfully its hotel prices don’t require visitors to be as well… eating might cost you though.
- Average club sandwich cost is $23.89CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $188.35CDN
- Hong Kong has both culture and exotic cuisine, but if you’re craving something more familiar, you can enjoy hotel accommodation and a club sandwich for less than the European cities.
- Average club sandwich cost is $18.10CDN
- Average daily hotel rate is $164.91CDN
The Club Sandwich Index ‘average Club Sandwich price’ has been worked out as the average price of approximately 30 Club Sandwiches as sold in 30 hotels in the capital city of each country measured. The prices were taken from 10 five-star, 10 four-star, and 10 three-star hotels from each city where applicable. In some instances 4.5 star hotels were used. In total more than 750 prices of a Club Sandwich were measured across more than 750 hotels, in 26 countries. Currency was converted to CDN, exchange rate correct as of May 3, 2012.