Canada’s premier social destination opening its second location
Cineplex Entertainment today announced plans to build The Rec Room, Canada’s premier social destination, in Calgary, Alberta. Scheduled to open in December of 2016 in Deerfoot City (formerly Deerfoot Mall), the two-storey, nearly 50,000 square foot dining and entertainment complex will be The Rec Room’s second location – with the first slated to open in Edmonton, Alberta, in the spring of 2016.
“The Rec Room is a social destination that brings together an incredible dining, amusement gaming and entertainment experience all under one roof,” said Pat Marshall, Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations at Cineplex Entertainment. “Cineplex is leveraging its industry-leading entertainment, amusement gaming, food and beverage, digital media and operational capabilities to bring an entirely new, technology-enhanced experience to the Calgary community.”
Developed with the support of Shape Properties, The Rec Room is expected to have broad appeal with young adults and families, while also serving as the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events and parties. Some features of The Rec Room include:
- A large attractions area that will boast an assortment of amusement games and interactive feature attractions alongside recreational activities like pool, shuffleboard and ping pong.
- Multiple dining options including an upscale casual restaurant featuring an open kitchen and a contemporary menu as well as ‘eatertainment-style’ dining concepts in the games area. Menus will feature Canadian-inspired cuisine and shareable comfort foods prepared in new ways.
- A guest experience that integrates the latest in technology and gamification coupled with SCENE, Canada’s leading entertainment rewards program.
- An expansive, multi-level patio will feature outdoor fireplaces and bocce ball courts.
- A bar area which features a massive high-definition screen will be the perfect place for Flames’ fans to watch the game or for friends to gather for a pint of craft beer, a glass of wine or a signature cocktail.
- An auditorium-style space that will be perfect for live entertainment like comedy and musical acts.
“We are very pleased that Cineplex Entertainment has chosen our redevelopment of Deerfoot Mall into Destination: Deerfoot City as the location to build The Rec Room in Calgary,” said Darren Kwiatkowski, Executive Vice President of Shape Properties. “The premier social and entertainment experience that The Rec Room will deliver is uniquely aligned with Shape’s vision for the property and the perfect anchor for Deerfoot City’s new restaurant and entertainment district.”
Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring for Calgary’s newest entertainment destination. Cineplex plans on opening several more locations of The Rec Room nationally over the course of the next few years.