What makes a meetings and events destination stand out from the pack? Premier event venues and services are a solid start, but for the City of Greater Sudbury, the answer also lies in providing experiences, entertainment, and tastes that rise above expectations.
“We want groups to be surprised when they come here, whether that’s by discovering an after-hours networking hot spot, exploring our restaurants or breweries, or taking part in a unique activity,” says Kelly Bonnell, Major Events Development Officer, adding, “We know that what happens during a meeting or event is key, but we’re also focused on making the before and after-hour times just as memorable.”
Looking for ways to elevate your event in Greater Sudbury? Consider the following:
Surprising Spaces: After-hour plans come alive in Sudbury thanks to a host of networking and social hotspots. In addition to many downtown destinations, the highlights include:
- Science North: There’s a reason curious minds from across Canada come to Science North. This state-of-the-art venue features unique exhibits, presentations, IMAX movies, and interactive experiences that are guaranteed to capture imaginations and keep groups talking. Science North is also home to the Vale Cavern, a true northern iconic meeting space.
- Dynamic Earth Home to the iconic Big Nickel, Dynamic Earth is an immersive, hands-on earth science and mining centre and offers a deeply memorable experience. Here, groups can enjoy a guided underground tour and take in multimedia theatres throughout this state-of-the art facility that entertains visitors of all ages. Dynamic Earth also features meeting spaces that make it an inspired pick for any event.
- Kivi Park: Spanning 480-plus acres of Precambrian Shield, Kivi Park is a prime destination for outdoor adventures and a must see in any season. The extensive trail system offers a variety of trails from 1 kilometer to 7 kilometers for hiking, biking, and skiing of all sorts. The park also offers non-motorized water sport opportunities at beautiful Crowley Lake… one of Kivi Park’s hidden gems.
Raising a toast: Looking to pair your event with a memorable night out? Sudbury is home to memorable breweries and distilleries, each offering distinct flavours and ample room for get-togethers. Popular spots range from the unique Crosscut Distillery to the trendy 46 North, to the “out of this world” Spacecraft Brewery, and beyond. No matter the tastes, there are ample ways to add a unique flavour to group plans.
Distinct tastes: From fast-casual to exquisite fine-dining, Sudbury’s restaurant scene is full of surprises. Just some of the highlights include:
- The Kouzinna, specializing in authentic Italian and Greek cuisine in a trendy, family-run space;
- Respect is Burning, serving up savoury Italian fare in a vintage tavern setting;
- The Laughing Buddha, offering delicious pizzas, unique beers, and a “killer vibe” in the heart of Sudbury;
- Tucos Tacos, delivering bold Mexican dishes to go or to stay;
- Verdicchio Ristorante, home to modern Italian cuisine, craft cocktails, and atmospheric networking spaces;
- Tommy’s Not Here, featuring Instagram-worthy Canadian cuisine;
- Among many, many others.
Arts & Entertainment: Planners looking to add a touch of culture to their itinerary have no shortage of options. From shows at the Sudbury Theatre Centre to afternoons at the Art Gallery of Sudbury, and live music to sporting events, there are plenty of opportunities to connect visitors with the region’s rich culture.
It’s been nearly two years of virtual meetings and conferences. Now that in-person events are on their way back, it takes a truly special destination to bring friends and colleagues back together.
“If you’re asking people to travel for an event, it helps that there are unique experiences and surprises to draw them in,” says Kelly Bonnell, Major Events Development Officer “Fortunately, when it comes to offering something out of the ordinary, Greater Sudbury has a lot to offer.”
Learn what surprises Sudbury has in store for your next meeting or event. Visit Discovery Sudbury online or call Kelly Bonnell, Major Events Development Officer, at 705-688-8515.